Low-vision devices are designed to improve visual performance in a person with low vision, thus enabling academic and social adaptation and providing enrichment of daily experiences.
What is Low Vision?
Low vision is a vision loss that can’t be corrected by ordinary eyeglasses, contact lenses, medication or medical surgery. A person with low vision has restricted eyesight that interferes with day to day activities but still, he/she can see something. It doesn’t include complete blindness as a little bit of sight is left. And what’s more, with the help of visual aids, you can stay independent.
What are the causes Of Low Vision?
Low vision can be caused by various ailments in the eye. In some cases, damage to the eye can be a reason in low vision while some people are born with low vision. The macula may separate, causing loss of focal vision (macular degeneration). The blood vessels may end up being weak and release fluid into the eye (diabetic retinopathy). The optic nerve might be harmed by glaucoma (increased eye pressure) and not be able to send messages to the brain.
What are the symptoms of Low Vision?
The symptoms of low vision depend completely on the main cause of the vision loss and whether the problem is in the eye.
Symptoms can include:
- There might be Blank spots, dark spots or wavy lines in the center of your vision.
- Blurred, hazy or cloudy vision or double vision.
- Loss of side (peripheral) vision or color vision.
How is low vision diagnosed?
Your eye specialist can help you to diagnose your low vision, just by conducting an eye exam. You should make a meeting with your eye care specialist if your vision challenge is preventing you from everyday activities like travel, cooking, work, and school. The tests performed by your eye specialist will incorporate the use of lighting, magnifiers, and special charts to help test visual acuity, depth perception, and visual field.
How is Low Vision treated?
Treatment for low vision relies upon the underlying eye ailment and the severity of the condition. Some eye diseases that can cause low eye vision include wet macular degeneration, cataracts, and glaucoma:
- Magnifying reading glasses allow an individual to read for longer periods of time. These Magnifying spectacles can be worn like eyeglasses and help to see better for tasks like reading, threading a needle, stitching etc. These are hands-free magnifiers which allow you to work with your hands.
- Doctors can recommend injectable solutions to treat patients with wet AMD. These injectable pharmaceuticals can not only help in preventing further vision loss, as well as it enhances vision.
- Patients with cataracts can undergo medical surgery to have their shady focal point replaced with an intraocular lens.
- Prescribed medicine eye drops are usually enough to treat glaucoma as long as the condition is identified early.
Why Choose Aakash Eye Clinic & Laser Center?
Over the past years, Aakash Eye Clinic & Laser Center has been providing the best quality for eye care and eyewear. We are a full-service eye care clinic that can provide a best personalised treatment according to your requirements. If you need glasses, contact lenses, low vision aids or just good old fashioned advice on what may be the best for your vision correction, we have the expertise, experience, and empathy to help you!