In today’s world, most of the modern work and personal life involves staring at digital screens or working at a computer for plenty of hours. This excess use of computers results in visual inefficiencies or individual vision disorders and in eye-related symptoms also known as ‘Computer Vision Syndrome’
What is Computer Vision Syndrome?
Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS) is a complex eye and vision problems related to eyesight which are experienced during or related to computer use.
What are the causes of Computer Vision Syndrome?
Some of the major causes of Computer Vision Syndrome are:
- If you continuously keep on staring at any bright, lit screen your rate of blinking eventually decreases. It leads to dry eyes which cause symptoms like grittiness, foreign body sensation, “sand in eyes” feeling, redness and soreness of eyes.
- For a long time, if you keep on staring on near visions, it will result in convergence spasm of the small eye muscles since the eyes are not intended for prolonged near work. Sometimes this causes headaches and an inability to focus.
- Using inappropriate chairs and improper positioning of computer screen or desk leads to neck and back staring. Lying down in your bed and reading from screen devices also causes minor problems.
- If you already have any pre-existing dryness of the eyes and if you are not wearing the correct power of glasses then you’re more likely prone to this syndrome
What are the symptoms of Computer Vision Syndrome?
- Eye strain and redness
- Blurred or Double vision after computer use
- Dry, red eyes
- Eye irritation
- Neck or back pain
- After Images
- High Light Sensitivity
- Burning Sensation
What are the treatments of Computer Vision Syndrome?
Computer Vision Syndrome is mainly caused by the way we lead our lifestyle, so it’s prevention is better than cure. Compromising your lifestyle a little bit might help you in getting rid of it and make sure that you can enjoy all your screen devices without any hassles.
The changes that you can easily make in your life to avoid the syndrome include:
Limit screen time: Try to minimize the time you spend on any screen devices and try not to be dependent on any smartphones.
Ensure proper posture: Make sure that your keyboard is placed to help your wrists, and your PC screen is positioned in a way that you can look down on the screen. Ideally, the PC screen ought to be 15 to 20 degrees underneath eye level (around 4 or 5 inches) as estimated from the center of the screen and 20 to 28 inches from the eyes.
Take appropriate breaks: Do not stare at a screen for a long time without taking breaks. Remember to follow the 20-20-20 rule; take a 20-second break to view something 20 feet away every 20 minutes.
Proper light: Make sure that there is proper light and try avoiding working in the dark. Try to avoid glare from screens by adjusting its brightness.
Wear spectacles: Make sure your vision issues are dealt with, and your eyeglasses prescription is up to date. Limit the use of contact lenses since they aggravate dryness and strain.
Why choose Aakash Eye Clinic & Laser Center?
At Aakash Eye Clinic & Laser Center, we offer a customised counselling for different age group people. We have all latest equipments for evaluation of stages and types of dry eyes. Our children treatment programme includes parental counselling as well as compassionate training in independent living skills for your kids. For adults we provide best individual counselling depending on the visual and ergonomic analysis and treatment required. Aakash Eye Clinic & Laser Center takes pride to be one of the top eye hospitals in Pune to provide regular CVS as well as eye health care evaluation of employees for multiple multinational companies.
Talk to our ophthalmologist if you suffer from any of symptoms and for computer vision syndrome treatment including diagnosis, prevention and cure.