So you had visited your eye specialist and consulted with them to have an eye surgery. But now what do plan to do in the time leading up to the surgery? Is there anything you ought to do on your end to ensure everything goes as easily as could be expected under the circumstances? There is, and we’ve put together a number of things you need to keep in mind before an eye surgery.
- Patients on blood-thinning drugs like Aspirin ought to counsel their doctor and stop such drugs for the minimum of 3 days (72 hours) preceding medical procedure.
- Diabetic patients should not take antibiotic medicines (pills/injection) during the day of medical surgery is being scheduled; the above can be taken up to one day before the medical surgery and proceed with one day after the medical surgery according to the doctor’s recommendation.
- Every single other medicine (for blood pressure, asthma and so on.) to be continued according to doctor’s recommendation including on the day of medical surgery is being scheduled.
- You are not allowed to smoke 3-4 days prior to the operation day and one week afterward precisely as smoking delays and impairs the healing process.
- Lens power (for cataract surgery) – The patient must get his/her IOL power checked before the surgery date. This facility is accessible at Aakash Eye Clinic and Laser Center between 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm on all days except for Sundays and Holidays.
- The patient is advised to have a cup of tea /coffee/ milk with 2-3 biscuits at 6:00 am on the day of the surgery. All medicines to be taken in the morning should be taken with tea on that day.
- The patient should answer to the clinic, accompanied by no less than one elder and one reliable relative, who has a reasonable idea about the patient’s wellbeing.